Monday, March 31, 2008

It's Olympic Time!

With the talk of the 2008 Olympics becoming more apparent in the months before, I wonder how social media can make its mark in the Olympic world. I had heard that an Olympic team of several competitors was getting together to learn how to blog and such. The point is to give people at home a version of what it's like for the Olympians during the exciting and high-stress time. I'm sure it's also planning on helping give the Olympics a new audience and better publicity. All of this gets me thinking about a friend I have who has been in China for the past year getting ready for the Olympics. How cool would it be to have someone like her blogging? A normal person who will be around all of these amazing athletes. I think blogging is making its print in so many aspects of our lives, why not the Olympics. For those of us not fortunate to ever be an Olympian or even travel to China, this can give us a better feel for real life situations than CNN or MSNBC. I'm so excited to pitch this idea to my friend, she doesn't blog currently, but hopefully I can convince her to find time to.

2 comments:

kaileec said...

I'm getting excited about the Olympics! I was even more excited after reading your blog! I think it would be a great idea if someone was blogging from Olympic stadium, even better if it was an actual athlete. I think you are exactly right that the Olympics would benefit from social media. Please tell your friend to set up her blog now!!

Anonymous said...

Without a doubt, the 2008 Olympics will be characterized by lots of controversy and spirit. There is so much the Olympic committee can do in the online sphere; blogging, advertising, broadcasting, etc., etc., the possibilities are endless. Like the 2008 presidential race, the 2008 Olympics will employ marketing strategies that have never been used or seen before. It's going to be a really exciting time for all of those involved and I except to keep up with and learn from all they do.