Sunday, February 3, 2008

Cashmere Mafia reveals the new trend


Thanks to a fellow classmate, I've become obsessed with ABC's new show Cashmere Mafia. It's executive producer is Darren Star, sound familiar? He's also the creator of Sex In the City. I really wasn't interested in adding a new show to my list of "must sees", but I can't help but want to watch the trendy and glamorous lives of these 4 women who live in NYC. The stars of the show (Lucy Liu, who is always fun to watch on screen, Frances O'Connor, Bonnie Somerville, and an "ice queen" performance that you just can't help but love by Miranda Otto) unite as a female "boys' club" that dominates the finance, media, publishing and advertising worlds.

Now I'm not writing to give a critic review, but to point out what's really interesting about the show. The fact that it places the power in these women's hands, or shows them repeatably as victors over men is fun to watch, BUT I was particularly drawn to (don't get me wrong, I'm all for a sitcom about strong successful women) its references to modern technology such as blogging, Facebook, and BlackBerrys. I love that in every episode the women are so in tune with this stuff and it plays such a big part of their professions. Of course, I do enjoy that they are marketing execs and publishing editors since this is along the lines of what I plan to do in a few years. Blogging is something that pops up every ten minutes with shout outs to Media Bistro. One character is even a blogger who's made enemies with these women by posting gossip about each of them. Two young entrepreneurs appear on the show to sell their "Facebook clone" for a pretty penny, and Bonnie Somerville's character tells how she receives instant alerts every time her name appears online. It's cool to see how the things we discuss in class are making their way onto primetime television. I'm sure more shows will continue to shed light on trends like YouTube and Myspace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that your post titled "Cashmere Mafia Reveals the New Trend" shed some light on a trend that's becoming increasingly popular. Today, audiences are being exposed to new products and services through sitcoms and movies. Perhaps, it's the advertising industry's way of coping with the challanges it is currently facing.
On another note, I've noticed that blogging, Facebook, and MySpace are referenced to in lots of sitcoms and movies. I probably wouldn't of noticed this if I wasn't currently enrolled in this class.

kaileec said...

The more that I use blogs, Facebook, Myspace, etc. The more I notice it becoming popular throughout the media. Your post, "Cashmere Mafia Reveals the New Trend", is the first time that I actually heard of facebook being commented on during a sitcom. I agree with Gabriela, that I probably would not have noticed this, had I not been in this class.

Marcela Pineda said...

After reading this blog, I kinda feel inspired to watch Cashmere Mafia and I think Im going to like it beacuse Im a huge fan of Sex and the City. Anyways, I remembered that in some of the episodes of Sex and the City they touched on the subject of blogging and chatting rooms. Samantha begins to talk online with this guy that has a fake profile. When she meets him she finds out that he is really badlooking and that she was deceived by the guy.
Technology today is everywhere and specially in tv series such as sex and the city and cachmere mafia, these shows are targeted to a public that uses technology in their everyday life.

pssst.. said...

After watching the show, I've realized that a lot of media outlets are being channeled because everyone wants their information as quick as possible. Text messaging has become a new craze in the past year or so. It's a lot easier than leaving a message on someone's answering machine. At first, people were excited about e-mailing because it replaces snail mail, and now text messaging replaces a phone call. What next?

khushi said...

I remembered that in some of the episodes of Sex and the City they touched on the subject of blogging and chatting rooms. Samantha begins to talk online with this guy that has a fake profile. When she meets him she finds out that he is really bad looking and that she was deceived by the guy.Your post, "Cashmere Mafia Reveals the New Trend", is the first time that I actually heard of face book being commented on during a sitcom.