Sunday, April 20, 2008

My Facebook Ad

The internship that I have this semester is with a women’s clothing company Erebelle. The fun thing about is I work on a social media campaign for Erebelle with Jackie Huba and Ben McConnell…you know the co-authors of Citizen Marketers. It’s really an experience working with them. One of my projects has been to create a Facebook Page for Erebelle (which looks excellent I might add) with pictures, notes, events, and video. Facebook began working towards implementation of these pages so that organizations, clubs, bands, companies, etc. don’t create profiles. Pages allow users to become “fans” of certain things. Once you’re in the fan club you can receive updates and exclusive info from that page. It’s really about the same thing as a profile. You can use most of the same applications and even create your own. I didn’t create an application, but I did experiment with the Facebook Ads option. Jackie, Ben and I were curious to see the workings on an ad and how successful an ad would be. So using my advertising skills, I created a well-structured ad with a headline and a 125-word body. You can’t get too crazy with these ads, there’s a limited amount you can change or ad. Most of the ads look the same on Facebook for this reason. What I found kind of confusing was that you choose to set a spending amount between cost per clicks (CPC) or cost per impression (CPM). At first, Facebook advised me to use a CPC of $.50- $.64 so naturally I chose in the middle: $.57. Then I set the maximum spending amount per day to $10. For four days this ad was running and I never saw it. Apparently nobody else was because I would check at the end of each day and $0, zip, nada had been spent. Facebook then advised me to raise the CPC. So I uped the bid to $1.62. The next day my $10 were spent, and the day after that and the day after that. I was getting 10, 000 impressions everyday and I guess about 10 clicks per day. So I raised my bid again to $2.00 and the maximum daily spending amount to $15.00. I spent all of that the last four days my ad was running. I guess what I really need is some insight from anybody who has played around with Facebook ads and knows what their talking about. What I see know is that my ad wasn’t all that effective. I was getting traffic to the Erebelle page but I don’t know how much that actually did. Any suggestions or secrets to creating a successful Facebook Ad?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I truly wish I had quality information to share here as I am very interested in this topic too. Instead, if you do keep this blog up beyond this semester, I'll be watching to see what kind of advice and insight you do get.
Thanks for putting the question out there and letting the rest of us benefit from it.